Mark Twain once wrote, “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” The fashion industry is one of the fastest growing industriesin today’s world.
Access to fashionable& Luxury clothes or accessories became easy due to the availability of online store like Tata CLiQ Luxury, Elitify, Darvey’s and more.
Here are the 4 facts about the fashion industry you probably might not know.
- The fashion industry generates about $2.5 trillion in revenue a year.
- The Indian Fashion industry is estimated around $108 billion and is expected to reach $223 billion by 2021.
- The average Indian throw away 28kg of clothes every year
- The total revenue of the top fashion company in India is more the $19 billion.
25% of Board members of publically-traded fashion companies are women. Where else women make up 69% of the workforce, why are they still not considered being over at the head position?
Facchinetti, Jenna Lyons, and Clare Waight-Keller run some of the most successful, creative studios in the industry. Rei Kawakubo has managed to achieve what every fashion house dream of achieving and that is commercial success with their stereo type designs. They are running two of fashion’s biggest success stories of the past half-decade.
Despite the fact that most of the fashion industry are catering to women session they still want a man to be at the top.
Don’t you think women would understand it a lot better as they can relate to what designer clothes for women should appeal, like what they would love to wear and what they would feel more comfortable in?
Although many women are entering into the fashion industry, proportionally they are unable to rise at the top.
There are certain reasons why women are not taken seriously as men. Here are the few theories behind the same:
- Fashion loving women are considered Dumb: Women who love designing or shopping are often characterized as “Clueless”.
- Men in fashion industry are a novelty: A man must be extremely talented to forgo other stellar job opportunities in order to venture into fashion.But if you look deep inside the fashion industry, you would realize women in fashion are more novelty then men.
- “Kept” women go into fashion, men make their way: Thanks to the tremendous increase of well-to-do women starting their own lines and fashion tech startups, there is an underlying assumption that if you are a female in fashion, it’s because all your bills are paid. On the other hand, when you read stories about men in the fashion world, they reflect talent, struggle, and determination. Media stories that focus on those celebrity-turned-fashion-entrepreneurs instead of the women who are talented, determined and struggling to make it further exacerbate the issue.
It’s the mindset; to how the perceive women in the fashion industry. But like all other things they can lead the charge and find ways to climb the top position.